This is what happens when y’all ask me for healthy recipes.
Look, I’m a balanced girl. I like healthy stuff. But this blog is the food that I LOVE. The food that makes me do a lil’ dance when I eat it. So y’all are getting gnocchi and I’m not sorry.
This recipe is essentially tiny chubby pillows smothered in cheese. And it’s no coincidence that gnocchi looks like pillows – 6 bites of this will induce a 45-minute nap. I don’t make the rules. The gnocchi does.
So! This is GREAT recipe to improvise with – add chicken, veggies, a different kind of pasta, whatever cheese you have. It’s gonna end up good. (Unless you make it with cauliflower gnocchi which is so disgusting and it’s not up for debate.)
- 1 17.6 oz package gnocchi (I’m not skilled enough for homemade)
- 8 oz smoked sausage/kielbasa
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Chop your smoked sausage into bite-sized pieces. Drop them into a large pan and sear until both sides are crisped up.
- Remove the sausage and keep under foil on a plate.
- Melt the butter in the same pan. DO NOT clean the remnants of smoked sausage out of the pan – it’s flavor 🙂
- At this point, you should also start boiling water in a large pot for the gnocchi.
- Once butter is melted, add the flour and stir with in with a whisk. Let it cook for a minute – it should get golden brown.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and start stirring in your milk slowly (about 1/2 cup at a time). Allow the sauce to thicken before adding more milk.
- Once all milk has been added, turn off the heat.
- At this point, you should cook your gnocchi according to package instructions.
- Add your shredded cheddar to the pan sauce – the residual heat will melt the cheese slowly. Taste & add seasoning as desired – I added the above amounts of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add back in your smoked sausage and gnocchi. Combine until all the gnocchi is coated. Top with a bit more cheese!