Poor biscotti. They’re just skinny lil overbaked cookies that only grandmas love…OR ARE THEY?
I remember where I was when I ate my first biscotti. I was housesitting for a neighbor, and was rifling through their cabinets for food. I came upon a chocolate-dipped biscotti, and thought “welp, I guess it’s kinda like a cookie.” And as I sat there watching Steve Harvey deadpan on Family Feud, I dipped that lil cookie stick into coffee. And it was a revelation.
It’s a cookie that soaks up coffee! Of all the things I’ve baked this quarantine, this is my absolute favorite. My husband, who barely ever speaks, looked over after eating 3 and said “Alli. These are like…. really good.”
STOP SLEEPIN’ ON BISCOTTI.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
optional: slivered almonds, dark chocolate pieces, toffee pieces etc. I only had chocolate chips 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together softened butter and the sugars.
- Drop in the eggs one at a time & combine. Pour in almond extract. You can sub for vanilla, but then it will just be regular chocolate chip biscotti 🙂
- Add in the mixed dry ingredients about a half cup at a time until all is combined.
- Add in chocolate chips last, until mixed throughout.
- Flour your countertop, and dump out the dough. Divide it into two equal balls.
- With your hands, create a rectangular loaf shape out of each ball. It should be around 10 inches long, and at least 1 inch thick. Try to make the two loaves as even as possible.
- Transfer onto baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the loaves to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the loaves into 1 inch pieces. Arrange the pieces cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Lower the oven temp to 300 degrees. Bake the biscotti pieces for 30 minutes – 15 on one side, then flip them over for another 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container. Eat these dipped in coffee or tea!
Note: If you eat these without coffee you are an actual psychopath.