This recipe is the Holy Trinity. Cheap? Yup. Easy? Yup. Friggin’ delicious? Yup. This taco soup only has 5 ingredients, but it’s full of flavor and actually pretty healthy. Like 200-calories-for-a-bowl healthy. So that’s a fourth great thing. But “holy quaternity” doesn’t have the same ring to it, so shut it.
Shout out to my mom, Jenny D, for this recipe. We ate this so often growing up and, I hated it because all my angsty teen heart wanted was Chick-fil-a. Mom – sorry for all the times I said “Ughhhhhhhh taco soup again? Why do you hate me?!”
Now I’d eat it erryday. ERRY DANG DAY.
- 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
That’s literally it. Don’t click away because it sounds too good to be true.
- In a large pot, cook the ground turkey until it’s no longer pink. Drain the fat, or wipe it out with a paper towel.
- Dump the taco seasoning into the pot and combine. Follow the taco seasoning package instructions. Most require you to add water.
- Pour in the jar of salsa
- Fill up the empty jar of salsa with water. Add it to the pot!
- Pour in the beans and corn.
- Cover and let simmer on low for at least 30 minutes.
My favorite way to eat this is topped with cheddar cheese & sour cream. Then I eat it like a dip with tortilla chips, obliterating the healthiness of this recipe. It’s also great served over rice.